Food Support in Eastbourne
Details correct as of November 2021. Please check individual providers before making a journey, as these details may change over time (links to websites within text)
Emergency / Crisis Support
Eastbourne Foodbank provides emergency food support, as well as welfare, benefits and debt advice to individuals and families in receipt of a foodbank referral voucher. These are obtainable from the support organisation currently helping you, or by phoning 01323 409925, any weekday except Thursday, between 9.30am and 12.00. The foodbank serves 8 locations around Eastbourne, and you will be welcomed with a warm drink and by one of their understanding and non-judgemental volunteers. As of November 2021, the locations and dates are as follows (please see Locations | Eastbourne Foodbank for further details):
- St Elisabeth’s Victoria Drive – Tuesday 10am-12 midday
- St Luke’s Stone Cross – Friday 10am-12 midday
- Willingdon Trees Community Centre, Holly Place – Wednesday 10am-12 midday
- St Richard’s Church Centre, Priory Road – Monday 10am-12 midday
- St Saviour’s Church, South Street – Friday 10am-1pm
- Gateway Christian Centre, Lottbridge Drove – Wednesday 10am-12 midday
- All Souls Church, Wellesley Road, nr Bonners – Tuesday 10am-12 midday
- Salvation Army, Old Town, Royal Sussex Crescent – Tuesday 1.45pm-2.45pm
- Langney Community Centre, Etchingham Road – Thursday 10am – 12 midday
The Salvation Army provides friendship, help and practical support to those in need in our community.
- At Eastbourne Old Town, 33 Royal Sussex Crescent, 01323 641833, firstname.lastname@example.org, there is a weekly foodbank (please see details and criteria under ‘Foodbank’ above). Please call for details of further support.
- At Eastbourne Citadel, 141 Langney Road, 01323 640382, email@example.com, support is available to those in need as follows:
- Mon-Fri 10am – 2 pm, food and a hot drink
- Tuesday and Thursday 6-7pm, hot take-away meal
- Thursday 1.30 Citizens Advice zoom appointments available Friday 9am-12 midday, healthy breakfast for homeless and vulnerable.
Warming up the Homeless
HOTLINE 07367 060708 for homeless emergencies and to report a homeless person you are concerned about. Warming up the Homeless provides outreach in Eastbourne – Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, 7.30pm opposite The Grand Hotel, King Edward’s Parade.
- Variety of hot food, hot drinks, water, snacks and sandwiches, cakes and pastries. Breakfast packs, toiletries, clothing, tents, sleeping bags, blankets.
- First Aid plus paramedic practitioner once a fortnight, qualified mental health practitioner, advocacy, canine ambassador, links to agency partners and qualified support. Podiatry services monthly.
- Food parcels from satellite food bank delivered 7 days a week by referral only to rough sleepers and those in temporary accommodation, EA’s. etc.
- Vegan and baby bank items available by referral only. No self-referral.
- Also offer advocacy services, Home Start scheme (provision of new electrical goods, crockery, cutlery, hoovers and other household items) for those newly placed in accommodation including TA’s and EA’s) and a rapid response team for homelessness emergencies. Full professional referral. No self-referral. A support group for the families of homeless people also runs in Bexhill every Monday 6.30-8.30, please call 07367 060708 for details.
Matthew 25 Mission
The Matthew 25 Mission, Brodie Hall, Christ Church, Seaside, 01323 726960, provide practical assistance and support for anyone in need. Volunteers at the Mission aim to support people trying to rebuild broken lives, especially those with life-threatening addictions, loneliness, bereavement, unemployed, homelessness, offending issues, and other challenges. They provide:
- Breakfast (8am-10am) and lunch (12 midday – 2pm) seven days a week, 52 weeks a year to anyone in need.
- Support for two existing projects providing support for the vulnerable: – Absolute Angels: hot meal for the homeless, 7pm Thursdays outside Poundland, Town Centre;
– Food4thought provide a hot meal at 7pm on Fridays, at Matthew 25, Brodie Hall, Seaside.
- Food parcels for those in need, and deliveries of breakfast and lunch to those with physical disabilities, when needed.
Feedbourners is a self-funding community group of like-minded people who get together to provide a home cooked hot meal and a breakfast pack to the homeless community in Eastbourne. They also provide small provisions of toiletries, underwear, hats, gloves, socks, sleeping bags when possible.
Feedbourners meet 7.30pm every Wednesday outside Cafe Republic in Terminus Road, Eastbourne until food runs out, usually around 8pm. Please contact via the Feedbourners Facebook page.
Eastbourne Sunday Soup Kitchen
Reaching out to those in our community. Every alternate Sunday Lunchtime 1pm – 2pm starting from the 12th December through to March 2022.
Delivering soup and hot drinks to the street community in Eastbourne Town Centre, starting from Grove Road along Terminus Road to Seaside along to Cornfield Road and back to Grove Road. Contact Andy Holter Mobile 07710 480512, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wider Community Food Support
Community fridges, larders and pantries redistribute surplus and/or donated food, providing an important function in reducing food waste and improving access to food in the community. In Eastbourne we currently have three community fridge/pantries, in Langney, Seaside and Old Town:
- Langney Community Centre, Etchingham Road, Eastbourne, 01323 763762. Community Fridge and Larder – Tuesdays, 10am-12midday. £2 for up to 10 items, everyone is welcome.
- Seaside Community Hub, 125 Seaside Road, Eastbourne, 01323 371322. Community Fridge and Larder. Tuesday 10am-12 noon, Thursday and Saturday, 11am-4pm. £2 per visit for up to 10 items, everyone is welcome.
- Old Town Community Fridge, Victoria Baptist Church, Eldon Road (opposite Cavendish School), Eastbourne, 01323 737974. Community Fridge and some pantry items. Wednesdays, 8.30am-10.30am. £2 per visit for up to 10 items, everyone is welcome.
Community Centres, Churches and Charities
providing a range of support including community café’s, meals for the vulnerable, and affordable meals for residents in their local area. These activities vary, and it is advised to visit your local community centre website, social media or notice board to find updates. The list below provides some examples of this support.
- Langney Community Centre, Etchingham Road, 01323 763762 – community café
- Willingdon Trees Community Centre, Holly Place, 01323 504438 – community café
- Salvation Army Citadel, 141 Langney Road, 01323 417149 – Support available through the week for anyone in need, see individual listing above and call for details.
- Matthew 25 Mission – Brodie Hall, Seaside, 01323 726960 – Support available through the week for anyone in need, see individual listing above or call for details.
- Age Concern – The William and Patricia Venton Centre, Junction Road, Eastbourne, 01323 638474 – offering a range of free information, advice and services for the elderly, and a community cafe open to all. Open Mon-Fri, 9-4. Advice walk-ins on Wed & Fri.
- Gather Community Allotment – Churchdale Road allotments, Eastbourne, 07869 706620 – an inclusive space for reconnecting with nature and winding down, with a pop-up lunch/cafe on Fridays, please call for details.
The Art House
The Art House, 34 Grove Road, Eastbourne – Through November and up to December 16th 2021, The Art House will be offering a free dinner for children on Thursdays 4.30-5.30pm, to any children who are in receipt of free school lunches, along with an art session. Please contact Lucy at The Arthouse 01323 728691 for more information and to pre-book (up to 2pm on the day if supplies allow).
Holiday Activities and Food programme
Holiday Activities and Food programme some providers currently offer seasonal activities with a free lunch during school holidays, for families with children who qualify for free school meals, or sometimes with other criteria. Please ask individual providers for details. The following providers are confirmed for Christmas holiday provision 2021; please check the ESCC HAF webpage (linked above) for details, additions and updates:
- Defiant Sports – Delivering at Defiant Sports Inclusion Hub, The Crumbles, Pevensey Bay Road.
- East Sussex Youth Service – Delivering at The Archery Youth Centre.
- Fireflies – Delivering at Motcombe School, Macmillian Drive.
- Sweet Circus – Delivering at St. Elisabeth’s Church, Victoria Drive.
This list gives an indication and may not include all services. Please check with individual providers for current service provision. If you are involved in an organisation in Eastbourne that provides food support to the community, which is not listed, please contact email@example.com.