Posted November 7, 2023
Organisation Hourglass (Safer Ageing) a UK-wide charity.
About the organisation Hourglass (formerly Action on Elder Abuse) is the only UK-wide charity dedicated to calling time on the harm, abuse and exploitation of older people. We are dedicated to promoting safer ageing and a fairer society for all older people; delivering a range of support services from prevention and early intervention, right through to direct support and recovery.
We at Hourglass are enhancing our community-led services to provide a range of support to help those who have experienced abuse or exploitation, as well as any older person who may be at risk. We are therefore recruiting a team of volunteers to help us deliver frontline support to older people and others – can you help?
Role title Safer Ageing Volunteer
About the role This role is key to the development and delivery of Hourglass Safer Ageing work. Safer Ageing Volunteers will perform various functions, such as advocates, caseworkers, providing a listening ear, Helpline, or awareness raising, to name a few. The role can reflect the skills and interests of the volunteer, while fitting within the aims of the work.
Location of position South of England and home counties. (home-based with some visits)
Responsible to Community Response Co-ordinator
Support from Hourglass staff and volunteers
Purpose of role To facilitate the development of strong and supportive relationships with and among older people through the Hourglass services
Description of tasks Safer Ageing Volunteers may carry out the following roles:
• Promoting the work of Hourglass & raising awareness of issues around safer ageing and abuse of older people
• Making regular Safer Ageing phone calls or visits to older people to provide friendship, emotional support, regular check-ins or advice.
• Acting as an advocate on behalf of an older person
• Providing casework support to older people (or others) concerned about the abuse of older people and/or safer ageing, eg. making calls or referrals to other agencies, providing information and advice, researching support options etc.
• Other tasks may be undertaken in line with volunteer’s skills and interests, and the needs of the charity and those we serve.
Time commitment Flexible (from 1 hour per week)
Skills and qualifications Please refer to Person Specification below.
Training and support Full training and support will be given as appropriate, with further opportunities for learning and development. We will cover all out-of-pocket expenses, and arrange regular support meetings with other volunteers and staff.
Benefits to the volunteer Our volunteers will join a dynamic organisation, helping us shape our work to empower older people to experience safer ageing. Benefits include:
• access to a range of training courses and events
• one-to-one support, and support/networking with other volunteers
• building a network of friends and contacts in your local community
• give your time, talents and skills for the benefit of vulnerable older people & their families
• valuable experience of volunteering that you can add to your CV
We’re looking for people who:
• demonstrate commitment to Hourglass’s ethos of “Safer Ageing, Stopping Abuse”.
• demonstrate an understanding of the experiences of and issues affecting older people
• are reliable and able to commit to the agreed hours, as well as initial training
• display patience, sensitivity, and resilience
• can maintain confidentiality and deal appropriately with sensitive issues
• have the ability to listen patiently and constructively, and provide advice and guidance in a non-judgemental manner
• can recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
• are prepared to join the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, or are already a member. We can coordinate and counter-sign applications, and there is no charge for volunteers applying to the scheme.
Roles and objectives in the charity may change or develop and volunteers are expected to be prepared to work flexibly in response to changing needs. All volunteers are required to operate in accordance with the charity’s values, policies & procedures.
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applying for this position:
If you’d like to apply for this position, please complete and return the application form to: email@example.com